Don’t Let Menopause Wreck Your Skin
There a few inevitable facts of life for women. Menopause is one of them, but aged, sagging and wrinkling skin doesn’t have to be.
The hormonal changes that menopause brings include an estrogen drop that can make you prone to thinning, sagging, and wrinkling skin. Your body’s collagen production slows down, and you lose some of the fat under your skin, reducing its elasticity.
Moisture also is sapped. Visible results include sagging around the neck, jawline and cheeks, crow’s feet, fine lines above the lip, and wrinkles.
Fortunately, there are multiple steps you can take to help you defy the aging process and keep your skin looking youthful and vibrant.
- Keep it clean: Cleanse your skin each day with a high-quality, cream-based cleanser.
- Hydrate: After menopause, oil glands are less active, which makes your skin drier. Skip those long, hot showers, use a cream-based moisturizer while your skin is still damp, and remember to hydrate from the inside, too, by drinking lots of water throughout the day.
- Be sun-smart: As you age, your skin has less natural protection. Use a broad-spectrum moisturizer with an SPF of 30 or higher and a wide brimmed hat every time you venture out into the sun to avoid wrinkles and age spots. Be sure to protect your hands, too. Wear gloves while doing yardwork and housework.
- Load up on antioxidants: Choose foods rich in antioxidants to help boost collagen content and strengthen your skin from the inside out, and consider an antioxidant supplement.
- Work it out: Regular exercise boosts blood circulation, which delivers extra oxygen to your body’s tissues, boosting its vibrancy.
- Relax: Stress can sap your skin’s moisture, making it sensitive and prone to the effects of aging. Manage your stress well and make sure you get plenty of sleep each night. Make sure you take time for yourself daily.
- Pamper yourself: Regular facials or chemical peels tailored for your unique skincare needs can help you restore and maintain a healthy, vibrant and youthful look.